Changes between Version 11 and Version 12 of GeniOmisGEC4


Ignore:
Timestamp:
04/02/09 07:44:26 (10 years ago)
Author:
Mike Patton
Comment:

Added link to my attached slides

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • GeniOmisGEC4

    v11 v12  
    1616 * GMOC dataset (Jon-Paul Herron) 30 mins
    1717   * Background: [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GENIMetaOps/operational_dataset_v31.pdf GMOC dataset strawman]
    18  * IP addresses and Routing in GENI (Mike Patton) 15 mins
     18 * [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GeniOmisGEC4/OMIS_SE.pdf Integration in Spiral 1] (Mike Patton) 15 mins
    1919   * Background: ''Not yet available''
    2020 * Lightning talks (scheduled on site) 15 mins
     
    27273/17/09
    2828
    29 All agreed that draft agenda and times on wiki for GEC4 OMIS meeting were good.  All also agreed that we want to have at least half the time for each talk be discussion, not slides, so try to make talks that will work that way.
     29All agreed that draft agenda and times on wiki for GEC4 OMIS meeting were good.  All also agreed that we want to have at least half the time for each talk be discussion, not slides, so try to make talks that will work that way.
    3030
    31 Slides or whatever material will be used for the meeting should be posted on the existing wiki page as soon as they are ready.  No later than 4/1, but earlier is better.  In particular, we'd like people to be able to look at the material in advance as they are trying to figure out when (or whether) to be at Opt-In or at OMIS.
     31Slides or whatever material will be used for the meeting should be posted on the existing wiki page as soon as they are ready.  No later than 4/1, but earlier is better.  In particular, we'd like people to be able to look at the material in advance as they are trying to figure out when (or whether) to be at Opt-In or at OMIS.
    3232
    3333wiki page at
     
    3535
    3636Comments from Heidi Dempsey:
    37 O&M survey discussion will be an attempt to get folks in the room to list open-source and commercial tools and software that they think are useful for GENI operations.  There's an existing wiki poll that was our first (failed) attempt at this:
     37O&M survey discussion will be an attempt to get folks in the room to list open-source and commercial tools and software that they think are useful for GENI operations.  There's an existing wiki poll that was our first (failed) attempt at this:
    3838
    3939http://groups.geni.net/geni/wiki/OperationsIssues
     
    4343http://www.geni.net/wg/omis-wg.html
    4444
    45 If there's more discussion than what fits in the 10 minutes, we can take some time out of the RUP talk.  There will be a mailing list follow-up too, since many of the people who might want to comment won't be in the room.
     45If there's more discussion than what fits in the 10 minutes, we can take some time out of the RUP talk.  There will be a mailing list follow-up too, since many of the people who might want to comment won't be in the room.
    4646
    4747Comments from Steve Schwab:
    4848
    49 There is also a security talk that Steve is giving in the control working group meeting, which is the day before OMIS.  Expect the control talk to be focused more in implementation "nitty gritty", and what specifically the control frameworks need to do for security (especially in Spiral 1).  The OMIS talk will focus more on explaining to projects and participants what the security policy means for their work, and what the implications are for setting up research users and operating facilities that are on GENI.  Campus environments especially will be something that should cause discussion.  Steve will mention the OMIS security discussion in the control working group meeting.
     49There is also a security talk that Steve is giving in the control working group meeting, which is the day before OMIS.  Expect the control talk to be focused more in implementation "nitty gritty", and what specifically the control frameworks need to do for security (especially in Spiral 1).  The OMIS talk will focus more on explaining to projects and participants what the security policy means for their work, and what the implications are for setting up research users and operating facilities that are on GENI.  Campus environments especially will be something that should cause discussion.  Steve will mention the OMIS security discussion in the control working group meeting.
    5050
    5151Comments from Jon-Paul Herron:
    5252
    53 Jon-Paul plans to cover the GMOC data sharing document, which is getting close to a final draft, and the data format document, which is very detailed, and probably farther away from representing a group consensus.  Expecting lots of discussion, especially from control frameworks that really haven't provided feedback yet.  (HPD to send emails to those control frameworks asking them to make sure someone from their group attends this talk.)
     53Jon-Paul plans to cover the GMOC data sharing document, which is getting close to a final draft, and the data format document, which is very detailed, and probably farther away from representing a group consensus.  Expecting lots of discussion, especially from control frameworks that really haven't provided feedback yet.  (HPD to send emails to those control frameworks asking them to make sure someone from their group attends this talk.)
    5454
    5555Comments from Mike Patton:
    5656
    5757Mike didn't say much about his addressing and routing presentation in
    58 the meeting.  More in subsequent email/postings.
     58the meeting.  More in subsequent email/postings.
    5959
    6060
     
    6363General Discussions:
    6464
    65 The lightning talks can be expanded or shrunk if we need more/less time for discussions on the main topics.  Mike may have a topic to discuss as a lightning topic, depending on whether it fits in his addressing and routing talk or not:  What are the "transition points" in GENI development that cause us as a group to need to do operations differently?  Some we talked about (there are more):  1)  when projects are actually using GENI infrastructure, instead of just their own GENI project resources hooked to the Internet  2)  when users who haven't been on GENI development teams start using GENI  3)  when opt-in users start showing up.
     65The lightning talks can be expanded or shrunk if we need more/less time for discussions on the main topics.  Mike may have a topic to discuss as a lightning topic, depending on whether it fits in his addressing and routing talk or not:  What are the "transition points" in GENI development that cause us as a group to need to do operations differently?  Some we talked about (there are more):  1)  when projects are actually using GENI infrastructure, instead of just their own GENI project resources hooked to the Internet  2)  when users who haven't been on GENI development teams start using GENI  3)  when opt-in users start showing up.
    6666
    67 We need to send a message to a wider list than the two working groups that we've posted to so far, letting people know what topics are going to be discussed at the OMIS meeting and why they might want to be there.  HPD to do this.  Maybe send to the dev list, as that hits all GENI PIs and developers.
     67We need to send a message to a wider list than the two working groups that we've posted to so far, letting people know what topics are going to be discussed at the OMIS meeting and why they might want to be there.  HPD to do this.  Maybe send to the dev list, as that hits all GENI PIs and developers.
    6868
    69 We need to discuss the process for "approving" documents in OMIS.  The RUP would be the first to exercise this.  Generally, our goal is to get rough consensus in the room that a document should or shouldn't move forward in becoming a "final" document.   We don't really vote on this, because we need "rough consensus" more than a simple vote.  But one person objecting doesn't necessarily stop the document either.  Whatever the process is, it should include something that represents what people thought about the document at the meeting, and something that follows up on the mailing list as a kind of "waiting period" after the group has agreed, to give people not physically present a chance to weigh in.  In any case, OMIS needs to send advance warning to people when documents are to be discussed in OMIS and action to continue or not continue is being taken at a particular meeting.  HPD to send out a message to this effect (again, maybe to the dev list).
     69We need to discuss the process for "approving" documents in OMIS.  The RUP would be the first to exercise this.  Generally, our goal is to get rough consensus in the room that a document should or shouldn't move forward in becoming a "final" document.   We don't really vote on this, because we need "rough consensus" more than a simple vote.  But one person objecting doesn't necessarily stop the document either.  Whatever the process is, it should include something that represents what people thought about the document at the meeting, and something that follows up on the mailing list as a kind of "waiting period" after the group has agreed, to give people not physically present a chance to weigh in.  In any case, OMIS needs to send advance warning to people when documents are to be discussed in OMIS and action to continue or not continue is being taken at a particular meeting.  HPD to send out a message to this effect (again, maybe to the dev list).
    7070
    7171