Deploying a Vertically Integrated GENI “Island”: A Prototype GENI Control Plane (ORCA) for a Metro-Scale Optical Testbed (BEN)
a.k.a. ORCA/BEN or ORCABEN
Co-Principal Investigator: Jeff Chase email@example.com http://www.cs.duke.edu/~chase/ (Duke)
Yufeng Xin (NDL-OWL development, experiment embedding), RENCI
Anirban Mandal (actor registry, XMLRPC controller, policy development), RENCI
Chris Heermann (BEN Operations, Cluster D connectivity), RENCI
Victor Orlikowski (Software testing, system administration, documentation), Duke University
Aydan Yumerefendi (codebase maintenance, documentation, core enhancements) – core development team, RENCI
Prateek Jaipuria (ImageProxy?, Shibboleth integration) development), Duke University
Muzhi Zhao (ImageProxy? development), Duke University)
ORCA/BEN team is pictured from left to right: Dan Evans (RENCI), Yufeng Xin (RENCI), Ilia Baldine (PI at RENCI), Aydan Yumerefendi (RENCI), and Chris Heermann (RECNI). Jeff Chase (Co-PI at Duke), Varun Marupadi (Duke) and Matt Sayler (Duke) are not pictured.
New Internet Computing Lab (NICL)
Open Resource Control Architecture (ORCA)
BEN: Breakable Experimental Network
Renaissance Computing Insititute (RENCI), Chapel Hill, NC
Duke University, Durham, NC
Infinera Corporation, Sunnyvale, CA
GPO Liaison System Engineer
Harry Mussman firstname.lastname@example.org
The scope of work on this project is to extend ORCA (a candidate GENI control framework) to include the optical resources available in [BEN] metro optical testbed. Also, to make a reference implementation of ORCA available to additional GENI prototypes and assist, with limited support, in the integration of ORCA into select wireless/sensor prototypes. The team will operate a clearinghouse for the various testbeds under the ORCA control framework. Also, connect with the NLR backbone network FrameNet service to facilitate end-to-end VLAN's connections into BEN. Finally, make the integrated (VLAN connections and control framework) ORCA/BEN infrastructure available to external researchers by the end of Year-1.
ORCA (Cluster D) Clearinghouse
ORCA clearinghouse equipment location: RENCI, 100 Europa Drive, Chapel Hill, NC.
ORCA clearinghouse will use RENCI public IP addresses.
The ORCA clearinghouse at RENCI is now operational.
Go to Cluster D Clearinghouse at RENCI ; get login from email@example.com
These Cluster D projects have installed (moved) their broker to the clearinghouse: BEN(?); DOME; ViSE; Kansei
ORCABEN: 1a Extend ORCA as a GENI control framework (Completed on time 03/31/09)
ORCABEN: 1b Make an early reference implementation of ORCA available (Completed on time 04/08/09) status
ORCABEN: 1c Integration of NDL or other topology description mechanism (Completed late 07/07/09) status
ORCABEN: 1d Integrate ORCA with BEN including slivering of Infinera DTNs (Completed late 07/07/09) status
ORCABEN: 1e Complete end-to-end VLAN connections between BEN and NLR (Completed late 07/07/09) status
ORCABEN: 1f All ORCA assigned prototypes integrated into ORCA clearinghouse (Completed late 09/30/09) status
ORCABEN: 1g Make a working and tested prototype of BEN and GENI available for limited external research (Due 10/01/09 (late))
ORCABEN: 1h Delivery of preliminary control framework design documentation (Completed late 11/16/09)
ORCABEN: S2.a Rel 2.1_1 ORCA code to projects (Completed late 03/14/10)
ORCABEN: S2.b Rel 2.2_1 ORCA code to projects (Completed late 09/01/10)
ORCABEN: S2.c Rel 2.3_1 ORCA code to projects (Due 09/30/10 (late))
ORCABEN: S2.d Rel 2.x_1 ORCA code, docs to GPO (Due 09/30/10 (late))
ORCABEN: S2.e Operate, extend clearinghouse (Completed early 03/16/10)
ORCABEN: S2.f GMOC access to clearinghouse (Completed early 08/31/10)
ORCABEN: S2.g Cluster plan for VLANs between testbeds (Completed on time 11/17/09)
ORCABEN: S2.h BEN testbed access by GENI users (Completed early 07/20/10)
ORCABEN: S2.i BEN testbed access from remote sites (Due 03/16/10 (late))
ORCABEN: S2.j VLANs from BEN to backbone (Completed on time 03/16/10)
ORCABEN: S2.k Integration of GUSH (Due 07/20/10 (late))
ORCABEN: S2.l Experiments BEN and other testbeds (Completed on time 07/20/10)
ORCABEN: S2.m POC to GENI response team (Completed late 05/19/10)
ORCABEN: S2.n POC to GENI security team (Completed late 05/19/10)
ORCABEN: S2.o Contribution to GENI outreach (Completed early 08/31/10)
ORCABEN: S3.a Cluster D roadmap review (Completed on time 11/05/10)
ORCABEN: S3.b.1 ORCA intermediate code release and documentation (Completed on time 12/31/10)
ORCABEN: S3.b.2 "With other CFs, a plan for consistent names and interfaces and for resource descriptions at interoperability interfaces " (Completed on time 12/31/10)
ORCABEN: S3.b.3 "Plan to interop with other CFs, particularly from and to protoGENI (Cluster C) " (Completed late 02/12/11)
ORCABEN: S3.b.4 "Plan for operations portal into Cluster D site, including status and logs " (Completed late 02/23/11)
ORCABEN: S3.b.5 Cluster C and Cluster D connectivity plan (Completed late 02/12/11)
ORCABEN: S3.b.6 "Streamline Cluster D site setup and operation, including cluster (Eucalyptus) and connector (L2 switch, with full tag mapping) " (Due 12/31/10 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.b.7 Command-line operation and mixed-mode testing (Due 02/01/11 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.b.8 XMLRPC controller implementing GENI AM API v1 (Completed late 02/23/11)
ORCABEN: S3.b.9 Resource representation format conversion (RSpec to NDL-OWL) (Completed late 02/23/11)
ORCABEN: S3.b.10 Layer 2 Cluster D stitching implementation (Completed on time 03/01/11)
ORCABEN: S3.c "GEC10 Cluster D roadmap review, capabilities demonstration and experimenter outreach." (Completed on time 03/15/11)
ORCABEN: S3.d.1 ORCA Camano 3.0 code release and documentation (Due 03/31/11 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.d.2 Resource representation format conversion (RSpec to and from NDL-OWL) (Due 03/31/11 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.d.3 ProtoGENI handler and policy support (Due 03/31/11 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.d.4 Layer 2 Cluster C/Cluster D stitching implementation (Due 03/31/11 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.e "GEC11 Cluster D roadmap review, capabilities demonstration and experimenter outreach. " (Due 07/31/11 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.f.1 GUSH integration (in cooperation with GUSH team) (Due 07/31/11 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.f.2 "ORCA Camano 3.1 code release, documentation and final report" (Due 08/15/11 (late))
ORCABEN: S3.f.3 Programmable peering for slices at Layer 3 (support for Xiaowei's experiment (Due 08/15/11 (late))
Status Reports and Demonstrations
ORCABEN: 4Q08 Status Report
ORCABEN: 1Q09 Status Report
ORCABEN: 2Q09 Status Report
"ORCA/BEN Integration Demo with Stitching of VLANs between BEN and NLR", July 7, 2009
"ORCA/BEN Integration Demo", July 7, 2009, web site
ORCABEN: 3Q09 Status Report
ORCABEN: 4Q09 Status Report
ORCABEN: 1Q10 Status Report
ORCA/BEN and Cluster D Demo at GEC7 on March 16, 2010
ORCABEN/ORCAAUG: 2Q10 Status Report
ORCA/BEN Demo at GEC8
ORCA/BEN Slides at GEC8
ORCA/BEN and ORCAAUG Spiral 2 Review
- ORCABEN/ORCAAUG Post-GEC10 Status Report
- ORCABEN/ORCAAUG Post-GEC11 Status Report
- ORCABEN/ORCAAUG Post-GEC12 Status Report
- ORCABEN/ORCAAUG Post-GEC13 Status Report
- ORCABEN/ORCAAUG Post-GEC14 Status Report
"Sharing Networked Resources with Brokered Leases", 2006
"ORCA Technical Note: Guests and Guest Controllers", 2008
"BEN GENI Substrate Description", 2008
ORCA-fest May 28, 2009, web site
"Experimenting with Ontologies for Multi-Layer Network Slicing", June 26, 2009
BEN Operations Staff and IT Contact: Chris Heermann RENCI
- BEN GENI Substrate Catalog.pdf (271.7 kB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 12/03/08 12:45:37.
- GENI QSR 2008-12-31.pdf (144.9 kB) - added by email@example.com on 01/13/09 15:24:10.
- 4Q08 ORCABEN Images.zip (334.2 kB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 01/13/09 15:29:51.
- ORCA-BEN QSR 2009-3-31.pdf (56.2 kB) - added by email@example.com on 05/04/09 13:54:15.
- ORCA-Team-small.jpg (1.0 MB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 07/28/09 10:16:17.
- 071509c ORCA_BEN demo.pdf (2.8 MB) - added by email@example.com on 07/28/09 12:18:43.
- ORCA-BEN GENI QSR 2009-6-30.pdf (56.1 kB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 07/28/09 12:19:16.
- orca_ben_demo_connectivity.jpg (117.2 kB) - added by email@example.com on 07/28/09 15:07:15.
- orcacalls.jpg (248.6 kB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 07/28/09 15:07:48.
- ilia RSpec Workshop NDL.ppt (0.8 MB) - added by email@example.com on 09/03/09 08:49:25.
- GENI QSR 2009-9-30.pdf (0.7 MB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 10/22/09 14:18:35.
- ORCA GENI QSR 2009-12-31.pdf (67.0 kB) - added by email@example.com on 03/03/10 17:26:57.
- GENI QSR 2010-3-31.pdf (79.0 kB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 04/07/10 18:52:41.
- GEC7 demo.pdf (312.2 kB) - added by email@example.com on 04/07/10 18:54:08.
- GEC8-cluster-D-ORCA-overview.pptx (277.0 kB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 04/22/11 15:53:27.
- nowcasting gec9 demos.pptx (2.0 MB) - added by email@example.com on 04/22/11 16:01:52.
- GEC9-cluster-D-ORCA-overview.pptx (1.7 MB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 04/22/11 16:04:17.
- ORCA Spiral 2 Project Review.pptx (489.4 kB) - added by email@example.com on 04/22/11 16:24:33.
- 2011 ORCA Connectivity Deliverable.pdf (0.6 MB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 04/22/11 18:04:50.
- GEC9-NEuca.pptx (1.1 MB) - added by email@example.com on 04/22/11 18:07:01.
- GEC9-CFWG-Anirban.pptx (426.8 kB) - added by firstname.lastname@example.org on 04/22/11 18:08:23.