Changes between Version 5 and Version 6 of GEC16Agenda/ServiceDevelopersRoundtable


Ignore:
Timestamp:
03/04/13 12:46:57 (7 years ago)
Author:
hmussman@bbn.com
Comment:

--

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • GEC16Agenda/ServiceDevelopersRoundtable

    v5 v6  
    33= Service Developers Roundtable =
    44
    5 == Schedule ==
    6 
    7 Tuesday, 8:30am - 10:00 am
    8 
    9 == Session Leaders ==
    10 
    11 Harry Mussman. GENI Project Officee
    12 
    13 
    14 == Agenda / Details ==
    15 
    16 
    17 == Pre-Requisites ==
    18 
    19 None
    20 
    21 
    22 
    23 [[PageOutline]]
    24 
    25 = Instrumentation and Measurement (I&M):  GIMI and GEMINI Design Topics at GEC15 =
    26 
    27 Tuesday, October 23, 8:30am - 10am [[BR]]
     5Tuesday, March 19, 8:30am - 10am [[BR]]
    286Room:   [[BR]]
    297Session leader:  Harry Mussman (GENI Project Office, Raytheon BBN Technologies) [[BR]]
     
    3715Finally, we will discuss the I&M goals for the next 4 months, particularly how to best support experimenters and those doing infrastructure measurement. [[BR]]
    3816
     17== Pre-Requisites ==
     18
     19None  [[BR]]
     20
    3921== Agenda ==
    4022This is a tentative agenda, which may change. [[BR]]
     
    4224== 1)  Introductions ==
    43258:30am [[BR]]
     26
     27
    4428
    4529== 2)  Topics for this meeting ==
     
    8973
    9074
    91 a)  Introductions
    92 5min
    93 
    94 b)  Meeting Introduction
    95 Harry Mussman
    96 10min
    97 
    98 Goals and Approach
    99       Work towards a "unified experiment environment".
    100       Help groups prepare responses to Sol 4
    101 
    102 Current overall experiment configuration 
    103 
    104 Summary of current experiment steps, and possible next steps towards a “unified experiment environment”.
    105 
    106 Today’s discussion topics:
    107       Common graphical resource assignment tool
    108       Rationalization of all graphical portals, and all graphical tools
    109       Introduction of OMF to config/orchestrate I&M and ExpApp services
    110 
    111 
    112 c)  Common graphical resource assignment tool
    113 25min
    114 
    115 * Overview
    116 Harry Mussman
    117 S3:  Obtain slice, install software
    118 Now:  GIMI using ExoGENI, Flukes;  loads images/pkgs
    119 Now:  GEMINI using InstaGENI, FLACK;  loads images/pkgs
    120 
    121 Next:  move towards common graphical resource assignment tool for both ExoGENI and InstaGENI racks
    122 Suggest:  discuss common graphical resource assignment tool, and relationship to portals, at Roundtable session
    123 
    124 * Current Flukes tool
    125 (Ilia Baldine)
    126 5min
    127 3 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
    128 
    129 * Current FLACK tool
    130 (Rob Ricci)
    131 5min
    132 3 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
    133 
    134 * Roundtable discussion
    135 15min 
    136 (Ilia Baldine);  (Rob Ricci);  (Tom Mitchell or Aaron Helsinger);  Niky Riga
    137 
    138 [Any topics, suggestions and issues suggested AHEAD OF TIME by members of roundtable]
    139 
    140 [At the end:  any conclusions, list of issues, team to continue discussion]
    141 
    142 
    143 d) Rationalization of all graphical portals, and all graphical tools
    144 
    145 * Overview
    146 Harry Mussman
    147 S2:  Establish exper mgmt environment
    148 Next:  GENI CH Portal, to establish credentials, and enter GENI
    149 
    150 S3:  Obtain slice, install software
    151 Now:  GIMI using ExoGENI, Flukes;  loads images/pkgs
    152 Now:  GEMINI using InstaGENI, FLACK;  loads images/pkgs
    153 Next:  move towards common graphical resource assignment tool for both ExoGENI and InstaGENI racks
    154 
    155 S5:  Run/orchestrate I&M and exp app
    156 Now:  GEMINI uses portal to GUI, to config/orchestrate
    157 Now:  GEMINI uses portal to GUI, to configure and present graphs
    158 Now:  GIMI uses portal incl GUI, to configure and present graphs
    159 
    160 S6:  Analyze
    161 Now:  Both use portal on GENI Storage Service (iRODS) to curate files (objects)
    162 
    163 
    164 Next:  Need to rationalize all graphical portals, and all graphical tools, to better unify experiment environment
    165 Suggest: Consider single sign-on at GENI CH portal, then link to GEMINI Portal (GENI Desktop) for entry into I&M tools, then link to I&M GUIs (including the GIMI portal/GUI and the iRODS portal/GUI); discuss at Rountable
    166 
    167 * Current GENI CH Portal
    168 (Tom Mitchell or Aaron Helsinger)
    169 5min
    170 3 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
    171 
    172 * Current GEMINI Portal (GENI Desktop)
    173 (Charles Carpenter or Jim Griffioen)
    174 5min
    175 3 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
    176 
    177 * Current GIMI Portal/GUI
    178 (Jeanne Ohren or Divya)
    179 5min
    180 3 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
    181 
    182 * Roundtable discussion
    183 15min 
    184 (Tom Mitchell or Aaron Helsinger);  (Charles Carpenter or Jim Griffioen);  (Jeanne Ohren or Divya);  Niky Riga
    185 
    186 [Any topics, suggestions and issues suggested AHEAD OF TIME by members of roundtable]
    187 
    188 [At the end:  any conclusions, list of issues, team to continue discussion]
    189 
    190 
    191 e)  Introduction of OMF to config/orchestrate I&M and ExpApp services
    192 
    193 * Overview
    194 Harry Mussman
    195 S5:  Run/orchestrate I&M and exp app
    196 Now:  GEMINI uses portal to GUI, to config/orchestrate
    197 Now:  GIMI uses OMF EC with Ruby script to config/orchestrate
    198 Gap:  no common way to config/orchestrate exp apps
    199 
    200 Next:   Need to rationalize orchestration of all services, including GIMI, GEMINI and Exp Apps, to better unify experiment environment
    201 Suggest:  Introduce OMF for config/orchestration of all I&M tools and Exp Apps;  later, add optional graphical interface; discuss at Roundtable
    202 
    203 * Summarize OMF capabilities
    204 Max Ott
    205 5min
    206 3 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
    207 
    208 * Roundtable discussion
    209 10min 
    210 Max Ott;  Marshall Brinn;  Martin Swany;  Fraida Fund
    211 
    212 [Any topics, suggestions and issues suggested AHEAD OF TIME by members of roundtable]
    213 
    214 [At the end:  any conclusions, list of issues, team to continue discussion]
    215 
    216 
    217 
    218 
    219 
    220 
    221 === T5)  Digital Objects, Identifiers and Descriptors  ===
    222 9:05am [[BR]]
    223 
    224 Giridhar Manepalli (CNRI) [[BR]]
    225 
    226 Tasks
    227  * Define a comprehensive system for identifying and describing a wide range of digital objects, including all types of experiment artifacts (e.g., rspecs, scripts, measurement data).
    228  * Show how to group objects into one combined object (e.g., all artifacts associated with one experiment), and then identify, describe adn archive this combined object
    229  
    230 Design goals
    231 
    232 Approach and next steps
    233 
    234  * [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC15Agenda/IMDesignTopics/MD_Workspace_And_Archive_GEC15.pptx  Archive, DOI (handle), Descriptors]  [[BR]]
    235 
    236 Open issues
    237 
    238 
    239 Team
    240  * Giridhar Manepalli and Larry Lannom (CNRI)
    241  * Harry Mussman and Jeanne Ohren (GPO)
    242  * ?, GIMI project
    243  * ?, GEMINI project
    244 
    245 
    246 === T10)  I&M Service-to-Service Authentication and Authorization  ===
    247 9:25am [[BR]]
    248 
    249 Ezra Kissel  (IU) [[BR]]
    250 
    251 
    252 Tasks
    253  * Establish a approach for providing authentication and authorization between GENI I&M service when they are required.
    254  * Note:  One approach included in LAMP tools from IU
    255  * Note:  Most authentication and authorization work in GENI has been focused on resource assignment, between an experimenter's tolls and an aggregate manager
    256  
    257 Design goals and approach
    258 
    259 Current implementation and next steps
    260 
    261  [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEMINI/AA-workflow.png  GEMINI AA Workflow Configuration]  [[BR]]
    262  [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEMINI/101112%20%20gemini_aa.txt  GEMINI AA Workflow Process]  [[BR]]
    263  [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEMINI/092812b_gemini_aa_continued.txt  Status]  [[BR]]
    264  [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEMINI/Visio-083112_AuthenticationAuthorization_Figures.pdf  AA Reference Configurations]  [[BR]]
    265  [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC15Agenda/IMDesignTopics/IM_AA.pptx  I&M A&A Considerations (slides)]  [[BR]]
    266 
    267 Open issues
    268 
    269 
    270 Team
    271  * Ezra Kissel (IU), GEMINI project, Lead
    272  * ?, GIMI project
    273  * Harry Mussman and Jeanne Ohren (GPO)
    274 
    275 
    276 == 3)  Goals for the next 4 months ==
    277 9:45am [[BR]]
    278 
    279 Harry Mussman  (GPO) [[BR]]
    280 
    281 Goals
    282  * Both GIMI and GEMINI tools should be available to Users during this period  [[BR]]
    283   * Acceptance testing continued by the GPO (Jeanne Ohren)  [[BR]]
    284   * Bug tracking system, plus periodic bug fixes, continued   (who are leads?)  [[BR]]
    285   * How can we facilitate feedback from Users, after EVERY use?  [[BR]]
    286 
    287  * Both GIMI and GEMINI must provide a high level of support to Users  [[BR]]
    288   * Tutorials must be kept up-to-date and operational, so that Users can teach themselves. (who are leads?)  [[BR]]
    289   * Instructions must be continuously refined, to make the tools easier to use. (who are leads?)  [[BR]]
    290   * Requested tool extensions must be gathered from users, based upon their experience. (who are leads?)  [[BR]]
    291   * Users with advanced requirements must be found, better identify gaps in the tools.  How? (who are leads?)  [[BR]]
    292   * Tool extensions must be proposed by the teams, and reviewed with the users.  How? (who are leads?)  [[BR]]
    293   * A list of tool extensions needs to be developed for inclusion into v1.1, due at GEC15. (who are leads?)  [[BR]]
    294 
    295  * Persistent multi-user services must be reliably available to all Users  [[BR]]
    296   * User Worksapce   (Jeanne Ohren)  [[BR]]
    297   * XML messaging service  (who is lead?)    [[BR]]
    298   * iRODS archive service   (who is lead?)  [[BR]]
    299   * IREEL analysis and presentation service    (who is lead?)  [[BR]]
    300   * INSTOOLS portal-to-GUIs service   (who is lead?)   [[BR]]
    301   * Unified Network Information Service (UNIS)   (who is lead?)  [[BR]]
    302 
    303 
    304 Discussion
    305  * Do we have leads identified for all items?  [[BR]]
    306 
    307 
    308 == 4)  Adjourn ==
    309 10:00am [[BR]]
    310 
    311 
    312 = I&M References =
    313 
    314 
    315 
    316 == GENI I&M Architecture and Tools:  Goals, Overview and Status ==
    317 
    318  * GIMI I&M tool set design [[BR]]
    319   * Based on OML, provides basic host and active network measurements [[BR]]
    320   * Ready for use on ExoGENI racks;  successful tutorial [[BR]]
    321   * Introduces XML messaging service, iRODS archive service, IREEL(lab wiki) portal service;  use by others?  iRODS by GEMINI [[BR]]
    322   * Spiral 5 goals:  also work with InstaGENI racks, WiMAX sites [[BR]]
    323 
    324  * GEMINI I&M tool set design [[BR]]
    325   * Based on INSTOOLS and perfSONAR/LAMP, provides basic host and active network measurements [[BR]]
    326   * Ready for use on InstaGENI/protoGENI racks ;  successful tutorial [[BR]]
    327   * Introduces portal to GUIs service, UNIS unified ntwk info service;  use by others?   [[BR]]
    328   * Spiral 5 goals:  also work with ExoGENI racks [[BR]]
    329 
    330  * Need simplified MDOD measurement data object descriptor schema [[BR]]
    331   * Also service for creation and editing of MDOD [[BR]]
    332   * Possible extensions to other GENI objects, events [[BR]]
    333 
    334  [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC14Agenda/IMDesignTopics/071112%20I%26M%20GEC14%20Wrap-Up%20Agenda.ppt  slides]  [[BR]]
    335 
    336 
    337 
    338 === GIMI I&M Tools:  Goals, Overview and Status ===
    339 
    340 '''PI''' Michael Zink,  University of Massachusetts at Amherst  (mailto:zink@ecs.umass.edu)  [[BR]]
    341 '''Co-PI'''  Max Ott, NICTA  (mailto:max.ott@nicta.com.au) [[BR]]
    342 '''Key personnel''' Ilia Baldine, RENCI  (mailto:ibaldin@renci.org) [[BR]]
    343 
    344 [wiki:GIMI  GIMI wiki]  [[BR]]
    345 [http://gimi.ecs.umass.edu/  GIMI website at UMass Amherst]  [[BR]]
    346 
    347 Goals [[BR]]
    348  * Starts with OML, and provides easy-to-use tools for GENI environment  [[BR]]
    349 
    350  * First focus: I&M use cases for experiments, with default OML Client in nodes that gathers passive measurements like INSTOOLS, and provides basic node-to-node connectivity tests using ping and iperf  [[BR]]
    351  * Second focus:  I&M use cases for infrastructure measurement  [[BR]]
    352  * Later focus:  add sensor measurement data, carried in data network  [[BR]]
    353 
    354  * Spiral 4 supported aggregates:  ORCA servers/VMs and ExoGENI (RENCI) racks  [[BR]]
    355  * Later, support:  WiMAX sites  [[BR]]
    356  * Spiral 5 supported aggregates:  protoGENI/Emulab servers/VMs and InstaGENI (HP) racks [[BR]]
    357 
    358  * Introduces XML messaging service, with pub/sub, in public IP space    [[BR]]
    359  * Introduces iRODS service, as a measurement data archive.  [[BR]]
    360  * Introduces IREEL portal service, for measurement data analysys and presentation.  [[BR]]
    361 
    362 
    363 Summary:  [[BR]]
    364 
    365  * [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC14Agenda/IMDesignTopics/GIMI%20GEC%2014%20I%26M%20Session.pptx  GIMI architecture, design and status at GEC14;  plan for GEC-14 tutorial;  next steps during Spiral 5] [[BR]]
    366  * For more information, attend or audit [http://groups.geni.net/geni/wiki/GIMIv1.0Tutorial  GIMI v1.0 tutorial]  [[BR]]
    367 
    368 
    369 
    370 === GEMINI I&M Tools:  Goals, Overview and Status ===
    371 
    372 '''PI''' Martin Swany, Indiana University  (mailto:swany@iu.edu) [[BR]]
    373 '''Co-PI'''  Chris Small,  Indiana University  (mailto:chsmall@indiana.edu) [[BR]]
    374 '''Co-PI''' James Griffioen,  University of Kentucky  (mailto:griff@netlab.uky.edu) [[BR]]
    375 '''Co-PI''' Zongming Fei,  University of Kentucky  (mailto:fei@netlab.uky.edu) [[BR]]
    376 
    377 [wiki:GEMINI  GEMINI wiki]  [[BR]]
    378 
    379 Goals  [[BR]]
    380 
    381  * Includes LAMP code and features in GEMINI tools, to provides flexible tools based on perfSONAR for active infrastructure measurements [[BR]]
    382  * Includes INSTOOLS code and features in GEMINI tools, to gather basic host measurements [[BR]]
    383  * Later, integrates LAMP and INSTOOLS code and features into new code base for GEMINI tools. [[BR]]
    384 
    385  * First focus:  I&M use cases for infrastructure measurement [[BR]]
    386  * Include sharing of data with other users (e.g., operators), at an interface with authorization using a GENI credential  [[BR]]
    387  * Show how to monitor clusters/racks [[BR]]
    388  * Show how to measure Layer 2 and OpenFlow paths (with input from OnTimeMeasure project) [[BR]]
    389 
    390  * Second focus: I&M use cases for experiments [[BR]]
    391  * Gather basic host measurements (as was done by INSTOOLS using SNMP) [[BR]]
    392  * Show how to gather customized data from applications (as provided by OML Client)  [[BR]]
    393 
    394  * Spiral 4 supported aggregates:  protoGENI/Emulab servers/VMs and InstaGENI (HP) racks [[BR]]
    395  * Spiral 5 supported aggregates:  ORCA servers/VMs and ExoGENI (RENCI) racks  [[BR]]
    396 
    397  * Continues INSTOOLS portal service, to find GUIs    [[BR]]
    398  * Continues LAMP local and global Unified Network Information Service (UNIS), to register available measurement data, and network topology  [[BR]]
    399 
    400 Summary  [[BR]]
    401 
    402  * [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC14Agenda/IMDesignTopics/GEMINI%20Overview%20and%20Direction-GEC14.pptx  GEMINI architecture, design and status at GEC14;  plan for GEC-14 tutorial;  next steps during Spiral 5] [[BR]]
    403  * For more information, attend or audit [http://groups.geni.net/geni/wiki/GEMINITutorial  GEMINI v1.0 tutorial]  [[BR]]
    404 
    405 
    406 
    407 
    408 
    409 == Persistent Multi-user I&M Services ==
    410 
    411 
    412 Goals  [[BR]]
    413  * Use by both GIMI and GEMINI tools sets [[BR]]
    414  * Use by other parts of GENI  [[BR]]
    415  * Identify need for further reviews and discussions  [[BR]]
    416 
    417 
    418 === S1)  GENI (XML) Messaging Service ===
    419 
    420 === S2)  GENI Storage and Archive Service (based on iRODS) ===
    421 9:15am [[BR]]
    422 
    423 Shu Huang (RENCI) [[BR]]
    424 
    425 Tasks
    426  * Establish iRODS service(s), and define rules (interfaces) to provide GENI measurement data archive functions.  [[BR]]
    427 
    428 Summary
    429  * [wiki:InstMeasTopic_4.9ArchiveService  status at GEC13]  [[BR]]
    430  * [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC13Agenda/InstrumentationAndMeasurement/T9b%29%20%20gec13_irods_im_anirban.pptx  slides at GEC13]  [[BR]]
    431  * iRODS service has been established at RENCI  [[BR]]
    432  * iRODS service has been established at Univ of Kentucky  [[BR]]
    433  * [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC14Agenda/IMDesignTopics/irods-gec14-1.pptx  iRODS configuration at GEC14]   [[BR]]
    434  * Proposed configuration?  [[BR]]
    435  * Operations plan?  [[BR]]
    436 
    437 Discussion
    438  * Who is lead?  [[BR]]
    439  * Will all iRODS services be federated, for redundancy?
    440  * How to move data to service:  move file;  move SQL DB;  or? [[BR]]
    441  * How is persistent object identifier (i.e., handle) generated?  also registered?  and later resolved?  Include necessary Object Identifier (OI) service.[[BR]]
    442  * How are partitions for different users managed? [[BR]]
    443  * How is authorization for a user done?  [[BR]]
    444  * How is data in MDOD used to set archive sharing policy?  what is required in MDOD? [[BR]]
    445  * How will the GEMINI project use the iRODS service?  [[BR]]
    446  * Will other parts of GENI want to use the iRODS service?  [[BR]]
    447  * Do we need a breakout session for further discussion?  when?  [[BR]]
    448 
    449 === S3) GIMI Portal Service ===
    450 9:30am [[BR]]
    451 
    452 Max Ott and Christoph Dwertmann (NICTA);  Mike Zink and Cong Wang (UMass Amherst) [[BR]]
    453 
    454 Tasks
    455  * Establish IREEL service, to provide measurement analysis and presentation functions, starting with GIMI project  [[BR]]
    456  * Extend/change to become Lab wiki service  [[BR]]
    457 
    458 Summary
    459  * IREEL service has been established at NICTA [[BR]]
    460  * IREEL service has been established at UMassAmherst [[BR]]
    461  * Current configuration  [  slides]  [[BR]]
    462  * Proposed configuration [  slides]  [[BR]]
    463  * Operations plan  [  slides]  [[BR]]
    464 
    465 Discussion
    466  * Who is lead?  [[BR]]
    467  * How are partitions for different users managed? [[BR]]
    468  * How is authorization for a user done? [[BR]]
    469  * Can IREEL be used to provide other functions, e.g., experiment meangement?  if so, how?   [[BR]]
    470  * Will the GEMINI project want to use the IREEL service?  [[BR]]
    471  * Will other parts of GENI want to use the IREEL service?  [[BR]]
    472  * Do we need a breakout session for further discussion?  when?  [[BR]]
    473 
    474 === S4)  GEMINI Portal Service ===
    475 9:40am [[BR]]
    476 
    477 Charles Carpenter (U Kentucky) [[BR]]
    478 
    479 Tasks:
    480  * Continue INSTOOLS portal-to-GUIs service, to allow user to locate GUIs within their slice, for use with INSTOOLS and GEMINI tools [[BR]]
    481 
    482 Summary
    483  * [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC14Agenda/IMDesignTopics/GEMINI%20Portal.ppt  current GEMINI portal service configuration]  [[BR]]
    484 
    485 Discussion
    486  * Who is lead?  [[BR]]
    487  * How are partitions for different users managed? [[BR]]
    488  * How is authorization for a user done? [[BR]]
    489  * What additional features are under consideration?  [[BR]]
    490  * Will the GIMI project want to use the INSTOOLS portal-to-GUIs service?  [[BR]]
    491  * Will other parts of GENI want to use the INSTOOLS portal-to-GUIs service?  [[BR]]
    492  * Do we need a breakout session for further discussion?  when?  [[BR]]
    493 
    49475=== S5) Unified Network Information Service (UNIS) ===
    495769:45am  [[BR]]
     
    51293 * Will other parts of GENI want to use the UNIS service, e.g., stitching?  [[BR]]
    51394 * Do we need a breakout session for further discussion?  when?  [[BR]]
     95
     96
     97
     98
     99== 2) Meeting Introduction ==
     1008:35am  [[BR]]
     101
     102Harry Mussman  (GENI Project Office)  [[BR]]
     10310min
     104
     105Goals and Approach
     106 * Work towards a "unified experiment environment".
     107 * Help groups prepare responses to Sol 4
     108
     109Current overall experiment configuration 
     110
     111Summary of current experiment steps, and possible next steps towards a “unified experiment environment”.
     112
     113Today’s discussion topics:
     114 * Common graphical resource assignment tool
     115 * Rationalization of all graphical portals, and all graphical tools
     116 * Introduction of OMF to config/orchestrate I&M and ExpApp services
     117
     118
     119== 3)  Common graphical resource assignment tool  ==
     1208:45am  [[BR]] 25min
     121
     122* Overview
     123Harry Mussman
     124S3:  Obtain slice, install software
     125Now:  GIMI using ExoGENI, Flukes;  loads images/pkgs
     126Now:  GEMINI using InstaGENI, FLACK;  loads images/pkgs
     127
     128Next:  move towards common graphical resource assignment tool for both ExoGENI and InstaGENI racks
     129Suggest:  discuss common graphical resource assignment tool, and relationship to portals, at Roundtable session
     130
     131* Current Flukes tool
     132(Ilia Baldine)
     1335min
     1343 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
     135
     136* Current FLACK tool
     137(Rob Ricci)
     1385min
     1393 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
     140
     141* Roundtable discussion
     14215min 
     143(Ilia Baldine);  (Rob Ricci);  (Tom Mitchell or Aaron Helsinger);  Niky Riga
     144
     145[Any topics, suggestions and issues suggested AHEAD OF TIME by members of roundtable]
     146
     147[At the end:  any conclusions, list of issues, team to continue discussion]
     148
     149
     150== 4) Rationalization of all graphical portals, and all graphical tools ==
     1519:10am [[BR]]
     152
     153* Overview
     154Harry Mussman
     155S2:  Establish exper mgmt environment
     156Next:  GENI CH Portal, to establish credentials, and enter GENI
     157
     158S3:  Obtain slice, install software
     159Now:  GIMI using ExoGENI, Flukes;  loads images/pkgs
     160Now:  GEMINI using InstaGENI, FLACK;  loads images/pkgs
     161Next:  move towards common graphical resource assignment tool for both ExoGENI and InstaGENI racks
     162
     163S5:  Run/orchestrate I&M and exp app
     164Now:  GEMINI uses portal to GUI, to config/orchestrate
     165Now:  GEMINI uses portal to GUI, to configure and present graphs
     166Now:  GIMI uses portal incl GUI, to configure and present graphs
     167
     168S6:  Analyze
     169Now:  Both use portal on GENI Storage Service (iRODS) to curate files (objects)
     170
     171
     172Next:  Need to rationalize all graphical portals, and all graphical tools, to better unify experiment environment
     173Suggest: Consider single sign-on at GENI CH portal, then link to GEMINI Portal (GENI Desktop) for entry into I&M tools, then link to I&M GUIs (including the GIMI portal/GUI and the iRODS portal/GUI); discuss at Rountable
     174
     175* Current GENI CH Portal
     176(Tom Mitchell or Aaron Helsinger)
     1775min
     1783 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
     179
     180* Current GEMINI Portal (GENI Desktop)
     181(Charles Carpenter or Jim Griffioen)
     1825min
     1833 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
     184
     185* Current GIMI Portal/GUI
     186(Jeanne Ohren or Divya)
     1875min
     1883 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
     189
     190* Roundtable discussion
     19115min 
     192(Tom Mitchell or Aaron Helsinger);  (Charles Carpenter or Jim Griffioen);  (Jeanne Ohren or Divya);  Niky Riga
     193
     194[Any topics, suggestions and issues suggested AHEAD OF TIME by members of roundtable]
     195
     196[At the end:  any conclusions, list of issues, team to continue discussion]
     197
     198
     199== 5)  Introduction of OMF to config/orchestrate I&M and ExpApp services  ==
     200
     201* Overview
     202Harry Mussman
     203S5:  Run/orchestrate I&M and exp app
     204Now:  GEMINI uses portal to GUI, to config/orchestrate
     205Now:  GIMI uses OMF EC with Ruby script to config/orchestrate
     206Gap:  no common way to config/orchestrate exp apps
     207
     208Next:   Need to rationalize orchestration of all services, including GIMI, GEMINI and Exp Apps, to better unify experiment environment
     209Suggest:  Introduce OMF for config/orchestration of all I&M tools and Exp Apps;  later, add optional graphical interface; discuss at Roundtable
     210
     211* Summarize OMF capabilities
     212Max Ott
     2135min
     2143 slides:  current config;  current capabilities and issues;  future possibilities
     215
     216* Roundtable discussion
     21710min 
     218Max Ott;  Marshall Brinn;  Martin Swany;  Fraida Fund
     219
     220[Any topics, suggestions and issues suggested AHEAD OF TIME by members of roundtable]
     221
     222[At the end:  any conclusions, list of issues, team to continue discussion]
     223
     224
     225
     226
     227
     228
     229== 4)  Adjourn ==
     23010:00am [[BR]]
     231
     232
     233= I&M References =
     234
     235
     236
     237== GENI I&M Architecture and Tools:  Goals, Overview and Status ==
     238
     239 * GIMI I&M tool set design [[BR]]
     240  * Based on OML, provides basic host and active network measurements [[BR]]
     241  * Ready for use on ExoGENI racks;  successful tutorial [[BR]]
     242  * Introduces XML messaging service, iRODS archive service, IREEL(lab wiki) portal service;  use by others?  iRODS by GEMINI [[BR]]
     243  * Spiral 5 goals:  also work with InstaGENI racks, WiMAX sites [[BR]]
     244
     245 * GEMINI I&M tool set design [[BR]]
     246  * Based on INSTOOLS and perfSONAR/LAMP, provides basic host and active network measurements [[BR]]
     247  * Ready for use on InstaGENI/protoGENI racks ;  successful tutorial [[BR]]
     248  * Introduces portal to GUIs service, UNIS unified ntwk info service;  use by others?   [[BR]]
     249  * Spiral 5 goals:  also work with ExoGENI racks [[BR]]
     250
     251 * Need simplified MDOD measurement data object descriptor schema [[BR]]
     252  * Also service for creation and editing of MDOD [[BR]]
     253  * Possible extensions to other GENI objects, events [[BR]]
     254
     255 [http://groups.geni.net/geni/attachment/wiki/GEC14Agenda/IMDesignTopics/071112%20I%26M%20GEC14%20Wrap-Up%20Agenda.ppt  slides]  [[BR]]
     256