Changes between Version 13 and Version 14 of GEC10RSpec


Ignore:
Timestamp:
04/07/11 14:14:06 (9 years ago)
Author:
Aaron Helsinger
Comment:

--

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • GEC10RSpec

    v13 v14  
    88  Wed   1:00 - 3:00 pm
    99
    10 === Dial In ===
     10==== Dial In ====
    1111 866-453-5550
    1212 Participant pin: 6513886#
     
    4343  * Summary and Wrap Up - Aaron Helsinger (10 mins) [attachment:RSpecs-Summary-AaronH.pdf slides]
    4444
     45==== Community Agreement from the Meeting ====
     46The session concluded with community agreement on three points:
     47 * The community will work to agree on common semantics
     48  * Ilia has proposals for layer 2 network resources and compute resources, and has recruited community members for other areas; thanks in advance to Max Ott, Hongwei Zhang, Martin Swany, Mike Zink, and Rob Sherwood. These individuals, and others who volunteer to help, will produce ontologies to represent the agreements.
     49 * GENI will use ProtoGENI RSpec V2 as the format on the wire
     50  * New concepts will be represented as PG RSpec extensions, allowing free addition and evolution of new concepts as needed.
     51 * Aggregates can use Translators to convert between formats
     52  * Ilia is building one between PG and Orca formats.
     53
     54==== Next Steps Agreed to at the Meeting ====
     55For all of these, community involvement is key. Email dev@geni.net or Aaron Helsinger (ahelsing at geni.net) to get involved. Results will be published to dev@geni.net and to the GENI wiki to keep everyone informed of progress.
     56===== Agree on Concepts =====
     57 * Align edge compute resource concepts, starting with Ilia's proposal.
     58 * 4 key semantic extensions
     59  * Wireless (Max Ott, Hongwei Zhang)
     60  * Measurement (Martin Swany)
     61  * Storage - physical & cloud (Mike Zink)
     62  * !OpenFlow flowspace (Rob Sherwood)
     63 * Produce ontologies for possible ratification at GEC11
     64  * The same groups will produce and present these agreements
     65
     66===== Adopt Schemas =====
     67 * Once the semantics of these things are agreed to, Jon Duerig, Ilia and the GPO will assist in representing these as PG extensions
     68 * Revisit PG schemas
     69  * Change more attributes to be elements as needed
     70  * Make some types less opaque as needed
     71  * Ensure base is extensible for the known needed extensions
     72  * Jon Duerig of ProtoGENI will handle this
     73 * Once adopted, RSpec schemas will be maintained by the community, along with the AM API.
     74 * Modify the AM API specification to require that RSpecs are in the PG RSpec V2 format
     75  * Aaron Helsinger and the GPO will handle this, when the support infrastructure is in place
     76===== Implement Translators =====
     77 * Write and deploy translators as necessary (coordinate with Ilia for a start - ibaldin at renci.org)
     78 * Enable conversion as a GENI-wide service
     79  * Replicating Ilia's converter as necessary
     80 * Test full PG/Orca interoperability by GEC11
     81 * Build a thin PL/PG translation layer at PL (Andy Bavier, Tony Mack, Jon Duerig)
     82 * Other translators as necessary
     83
     84==== Selected Discussion Points from the Meeting ====
     85===== Ilia Baldine =====
     86 * Translators may not be a long term solution, but do provide a way to make progress.
     87 * The key requirement is that we agree on semantics.
     88 * For networking, NDL is a superset of PG, which is a superset of PL. GENI primarily works at the PG/PL level, and translators can work there.
     89 * Networking semantics will deal with ethernet only for now - leave lower levels like optical for Orca or others with interest.
     90 * Adaptations are a key concept - e.g. part of describing stitching capability.
     91 * RENCI will maintain and extend their converter for PG/Orca formats.
     92 * Ilia described a proposal for a compute resources ontology.
     93 * We should draw on work in the cloud community.
     94 * The Open Virtualization Format (OVF) standard from the Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF) may be a good source for VM representations.
     95 * IETF Common Information Model (CIM) standard is also relevant, but is very complicated.
     96
     97===== Martin Swany =====
     98 * Uniform Network Information Schema (UNIS) from U Delaware leverages NML, perfSonar.
     99 * Philosophical points
     100  * Use the same schema for control & measurement
     101  * Express common stuff in a common way
     102  * Not everything is common
     103  * Non common stuff goes in an extension
     104  * Express complexity only as necessary
     105 * RFC6020 - YANG - provides an interesting new data modeling language.
     106 * Private or novel concepts should be kept separate with different namespaces.
     107 * N^2^ translators should be a concern: a good common internal representation inside the translator reduces this problem.
     108
     109===== Rob Ricci =====
     110 * Maximize tool support: any programming language or environment should be supported.
     111 * Use an extensible format using namespaces
     112 * Add annotations as needed
     113 * The maintainer of the format must not be a bottleneck to innovation
     114 * The RSpec schema maintainer could be GENI
     115 * Projects can describe new stuff with a new extension without waiting for any kind of global consensus.
     116 * Format must have a defined base that evolves over time.
     117 * Bound the # of active versions of the schema at 2.
     118 * Services advertise which formats they support, and which extensions.
     119 * 'Consenting Adults' model for extensions
     120  * Those who want the extension agree at first & only they understand it.
     121  * Eventually the extension may get 'blessed', to avoid duplication of concepts.
     122 * PL vs PG format: PL has a 'site' tag, which is similar to OF 'network'.
     123  * Otherwise, it is quite similar to the PG format.
     124
     125===== Rob Sherwood =====
     126 * OF extension would likely be very simple
     127 * May extend link types
     128 * Need to decide whether flowspace is defined relative to links, switches, or other.
     129
     130===== Group =====
     131 * Ilia: first step must be a UML diagram or similar, not the schema. No one can read XSDs
     132 * Andy Bavier
     133  * the proposal is fine.
     134  * PL will translate.
     135 * Martin Swany
     136  * this is like old UNIS, so I support this
     137 * Use XML elements not attributes to make extension easier.
     138 * RSpec ontology & schema should be co-hosted with the GENI AM API
     139 * Community maintains the schema
     140 * Perhaps change the namespaces and URLs to a geni.net address as extensions and base are 'blessed'.
     141
    45142==== Background Reading ====
    46143  ProtoGENI RSpec V2: http://www.protogeni.net/trac/protogeni/wiki/RSpec2 [[br]]